It is a known fact that every athlete needs a sufficient amount of water to perform to the best of their ability. However, while this is a known fact, it is often ignored. If these stayed ignored, one’s performance could suffer and one could also experience fatigue, cramps, nausea and much more.
You may not understand the importance until you have actually experienced the ill effects, however do not let that time come and arm yourself with knowledge that can indeed help you stay hydrated and perform to the best of your ability always.
A few Hydration Facts that can help you are listed below:
1) Muscles in the human body are made up of 75% of water. If one is dehydrated, muscles are unable to contract at their peak and this could lead to impairing speed and strength.
2) Your muscles will gain a fuller appearance when you are hydrated properly.
3) Learn these signals, one percent of dehydration is a signal for thirst, two percent can impair performance, four percent will lead to fatigue, a decline in metal ability and weakness. Higher levels could cause you to make your way to the hospital.
4) Water is essential to have nutrients and oxygen taken to all parts of your body.
5) Water is important to regulate body temperature so that you can prevent heat sickness and perform well under hot and humid temperatures as well.
6) There is something as water intoxication, but it exists. This usually happens when you are exercising for long periods. For example, during a marathon, when you drink only water without any attention to levels of electrolytes. In this case, you may see that the levels get diluted and your muscles will stop functioning.
7) The color of your urine will let you know about your hydration needs. Colorless or pale urine means you are well hydrated, bright colored urine means that you need to increase fluid intake.
8) To know how much water you need, simply cut your bodyweight into half. For example if you weight 150 pounds, you need 75 ounces of water.
Water and chocolate milk are two great drinks to keep yourself hydrated. Water however is the more convenient choice. Keep your health and performance in check by staying hydrating and eating right. Speak with a Registered Holistic Nutritionist to learn which foods can boost performance and keep you healthy. Consult a homeopath when you can to boost performance as well.