They say sitting is the new smoking. For those of us who have sedentary lifestyles, it is important for us to learn that the side effects are deadly and if we wish to maintain a long and healthy life we need to make efforts to reverse the damage that sitting all day can cause.
Sitting for long hours can cause to slow down circulation, which causes a build up of fluid in one’s lower legs. If you have to sit for a number of hours, elevate your legs for some time before you call it a night. If you do not rectify this, there is a chance that the fluid that has built up will filter in to your neck and head causing swelling.
Sitting for too long also slows down the circulation of blood which could lead to the formation of clots and embolisms. The lack of regular exercise can lead to chronic disease. Bones, like one’s muscles need a regular dose of exercise to maintain strength and mineral content. People who tend to be inactive are at the risk of contracting breast cancer, diabetes, heart attack, stroke, respiratory ailments and other deadly diseases.
Moving our bodies on a regular basis is essential, it helps work the muscles and ligaments and massages tissues and organs in body and pushes oxygen in these areas. It also helps push lymph through the body.
Dedicate some time of the day to exercise and you should be on your way to leading a healthy life. A few tips that you could adhere to if you lead a sedentary lifestyle are listed below:
1. Stretch and exercise. Schedule a time and dedicate yourself daily to it.
2. Make it a point to move at least every 30 minutes if your job involves you to sit in one place for long periods of time.
3. How about walking meetings, instead of sending an email to a colleague who sits two desks away, walk
over and talk over the issue over a brisk walk through the lobby.
4. Standing desks, now that’s new.
5. Make it a habit to take the stairs instead of the elevator.
6. If your home is too far away from office for a daily commute by bike or walking, then park your car fairly
far away from the office parking lot.
7. Turn TV time in to time for exercise. You can easily combine the two.
Moving and being active does not require too much effort. Do chores around the house, run errands that are close by, by foot and you will see the difference it makes to your life.
Speak with a registered Holistic Nutritionist to learn how you can stay active and health with the right diet as well.