How to Easily Enjoy Your Greens!
Getting the required amount of greens in your body for good health can be tough, primarily because most of us admit to not enjoying the taste of foods like spinach, kale, broccoli and spring greens.
If we only knew just how beneficial and nutritious some of these foods were, we would probably overlook the taste aspect, but by ignoring some of these foods in your diet, you are depriving your body of vital nutrients that contribute to our well being on many levels.
If you have trouble making greens part of your regular diet, try a few of these preparation methods to help you include and enjoy more greens in your diet to stay healthy:
Start Your Day With A Green Smoothie for More Energy
So good for you and so easy to make, smoothies are a great way power pack the goodness your body needs. Simply pack your smoothie with raw greens like spinach, kale, broccoli and cucumber add in some of your favorite fruits, milk, water and a spoon or two of a superfood/supplement and blend to your taste. The best time to consume a green smoothie is at the beginning of the day for breakfast – Try it and you will be super – charged with enough energy to last you through the day.
Here are a couple of smoothie recipes that are nutritious and delicious :
Kale Smoothie With Pineapple and Banana
2cups stemmed and chopped kale or spinach
1 1/2cups chopped pineapple (about 1/4 medium pineapple)
1ripe banana, chopped
1/2cup coconut milk
Combine the coconut milk, ½ cup water, the kale, pineapple, and banana in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding more water to reach the desired consistency.
Spinach, Grape and Coconut Smoothie
1cup packed baby spinach
1cup seedless green grapes
1/4cup coconut milk
Place the grapes, spinach, ice, and coconut milk in a blender. Start blending slowly and then blend until smooth and frothy.
Go green with Juice
Consuming juice is one of the easiest and quickest ways to give your body the nutrition it needs. Juices get absorbed more easily and effectively than smoothies do and can give you energy within after consumption. Juicing at home fun and super easy and you can find more and more juice bars around the city now when you’re on the fly.
Steam or Sauté for Flavour Most green leafy vegetables contain vitamins that are fat soluble, therefore in order to ensure your body absorbs them, it is important that you consume them with little or no fat. Steam them or lightly sauté them and enjoy them over any protein rich and fat free meal. Here are 8 ways you can make steamed vegies taste better
- Fresh herbs – Toss whole sprigs of fresh herbs, like parsley, thyme, or dill, over the steaming vegetables, or chop up the leaves and sprinkle them over the vegetables after they’re cooked.
- Garlic – Add sliced or chopped garlic to any vegetable, but leafy greens like kale really benefit from this extra zing. You can also sauté garlic with olive oil and toss it with vegetables after they’re steamed.
- Ginger – Place thinly sliced ginger at the bottom of the steaming basket and cover with butternut squash or other winter root vegetables. Like garlic, sauté ginger in olive oil first before tossing with steamed vegetables.
- Lemon – Add a few slices of lemon or lemon zest to vegetables, like broccoli, green beans, and summer squash. You can also add lemon juice to the steaming water.
- Olive oil – Before steaming, toss vegetables in the classic combination of olive oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sesame oil – Toss Asian vegetables, such as bok choy or gai lan, with toasted sesame oil, salt, and white pepper before steaming.
- Fish sauce or soy sauce – Add a couple tablespoons of fish sauce or soy sauce directly to the steaming water.
- Vinegar – Just Add a little and Toss
More Salads = Natural Weight Loss
We all know one of the best ways to consume your greens is to eat a salad full of them. Mix a big bowl of greens and add your favorite veggies along with some delicious and healthy dressing and watch your weight start to drop and energy level go up.
Here’s a delicious and nutritious salad that everyone loves:
Strawberry, Spinach, and Pear Salad
1/2 cup black walnuts
1 (10 ounce) bag spinach leaves
1 (10 ounce) bag romaine lettuce, torn
1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
8 large strawberries, sliced
2 pears – peeled, cored and sliced
1 (6 ounce) container crumbled feta
3 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- Place the walnuts in a small skillet over medium-high heat; toast the nuts while stirring constantly for 4 to 5 minutes; set aside to cool completely.
- Toss together the spinach and romaine lettuce in a large mixing bowl, and toss with 1/2 cup of balsamic vinaigrette. Arrange the strawberries, pears, feta cheese, and walnuts over the top of the salad. Dress the salad with another 3 tablespoons vinaigrette to serve.
No Matter how you eat them, remember greens are an absolute must for a healthy and happy body!
Sign up for a free 15-minute HPC health check appointment and start living a healthier and more vital lifestyle today!