When you eat well, you will automatically feel more energetic, you will sleep better and you will recover better after games and practices, giving an impetus to overall performance. There are many people who fail to pay attention to nutrition, because they think that it is highly complicated, however, this is not true. If you are between seasons and are feeling low on energy or are having trouble during training sessions, you should indeed follow the ten tips mentioned below to feel at the top of your game. You will see a change in how you feel almost immediately and will enjoy the renewed energy level.
1) Instead of digging in to processed foods, choose to have veggies, high fiber carbohydrates, whole grains and fruits.
2) Choose fruits and vegetables in different colors so that you can extract maximum nutrients from them. Make sure that you consume them with every meal.
3) Make sure that you include at least one source of lean protein with every meal, include fish, turkey or chicken as apposed to lamb, pork or beef.
4) Choose healthy fats, like nuts, avocado, olive oil, seeds, fish, flaxseed oil and flaxseed.
5) Be sure to eat breakfast every day. You will note that when you eat within thirty minutes of waking up, you are giving your body the energy it needs to face the day in full swing. This practice helps jumpstart your metabolism.
6) Follow a balanced diet of carbs, fats and proteins and make sure that they are smaller and spread through the day, eat at least 4 – 6 times a day.
7) When your body is dehydrated, you will not perform well. Be sure to drink lots of liquids. Consume at least three liters of beverages that are non-caloric like green tea and water on a daily basis.
8) Be sure not to let your workouts go in vain. You need the right nutrients so that you make gains. Divide your time in to three stages, pre workout, during your work out and post workout. Make sure that you consume foods that are rich in carbohydrates before your workout, have carbohydrates and water during your workout and consume carbohydrates along with protein 30 minutes after you have finished your workout session.
9) Use real foods first and then choose to use supplements. If you are not able to get all the necessary nutrients through food, then you should consume a multivitamin. However, be sure to consult a Registered Holistic Nutritionist before you start your supplement program and change your diet plans.
10) Sleep for at least eight hours a day. If you are unable to sleep for eight hours, then take power naps when you can. The body is able to recover best when it is sleeping.
To top it off, always follow the 80/20 rule always. For 80% of the time, choose foods that are going to benefit your body and 20% of the time choose foods that may not be overly beneficial but will not harm your body as well.
Make an appointment with a Registered Holistic Nutritionist to learn more about these rules and what you can incorporate into your diet to get a balanced meal every day. Homeopathy too helps tremendously, so do consider its benefits in keeping your body healthy too.