Your friend has faced it, you have faced it, and the woman down the road too has faced it. You feel great, but when you enter the office, a colleague walks up to you and asks you if you haven’t slept well, because you look really tired. Well, it happens to the best of us, sometimes our skin refuses to connect with how we are feeling inside, and if you do not pay attention to essential skincare, you can be sure that the same question will surface again and again.
Following a good skin care regimen is essential if you wish to retain that beautiful and youthful glow on your face for years to come. While cleansing, nourishing and nurturing your skin is important, it is also important to pay attention to what you eat. Your skin is the largest organ in the body, and if you don’t take care of it, you will be disappointed and start looking older faster.
The answer to beautiful, glowing and healthy skin lies in antioxidants. A large number of skin care products use a host of antioxidants to give you what you are looking for, the promise of flawless skin. Speaking with a holistic nutritionist can help you figure out what foods are rich in antioxidants and what protocols in diet are to be changed that suit your skin type and body type, so that you can make them part of your daily diet while following a disciplined skincare regimen, to avoid annoying questions at the office and from your mother.
Antioxidants have a number of benefits for your skin, and a few of them are highlighted below. From tightening to toning and even reversing the signs of aging, these are indeed miraculous.
1. Anti-inflammatory properties: Antioxidants are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. Calming inflammations is what makes them prized amongst people who suffer from inflammations on their skin often. Lipoic acid, an antioxidant is found in green tea and in pine bark, which provide great anti- inflammatory results by increasing cell metabolism and circulation. Acne and wrinkles can be kept at bay by making use of essential anti-oxidants.
2. Firm Skin: Antioxidants can indeed reverse the effect of ageing by playing an important role in firming your skin and making it appear healthy. Coenzyme Q-10 is a very common antioxidant that is found in a number of skin care products like eye creams and other products that are meant for toning your skin. Looking for skin care products that are rich in antioxidants can indeed help.
3. Say Bye-bye to Wrinkles (at least for a while): Well, it is indeed impossible to make wrinkles disappear, but antioxidants, plump up the skin and reduce the appearance of age defining wrinkles that make one feel awful. Vitamin C and E are great for reducing fine lines and wrinkles. If you read the labels of wrinkle reducing creams carefully, you will note that they use these vitamins.
4. Treat your Scars: Scar tissue is very different from healthy skin in terms of healthy skin as it is rigid. Antioxidants are great for dealing with these scars and reducing the look of scars. Antioxidants found in an onion called allium and aloe do this by increasing the flow of blood to the scar. Gels, patches and creams that are rich in antioxidants are available freely.
5. Don’t be Afraid of the Sun: All of us aware that too much sun exposure is not good for the skin. The sun dries the skin out and damages cells. Wrinkly and tough looking skin is a product of too much exposure in the sun. Antioxidants help blood flow into the skin and also help in generation of new cells, which works towards making the skin look healthier.
There are a host of skin care products in the market including cleansers, moisturizers, sun screen lotions, eye creams and so many more that contain rich amounts of antioxidants that help retain youth on your skin. There are so many natural sources for antioxidants too – Aloe Vera and green tea are two very readily available natural skin care sources.
Talking to a holistic nutritionist can help you learn more about these miraculous antioxidants and they will guide you as to how you can make them a part of your daily diet by consuming fruits and vegetables that are rich in these age defying ingredients. As we are all unique individuals, a Holistic Nutritionist and a Homeopath create custom protocols for each individual based on sex, age, ethic group, lifestyle and skin types. The advice you gather on holistic nutrition from a registered nutritionist can indeed change the way you feel about yourself, because you will simply be able to care for yourself better and the effects will show on your face and on your health.