We are all well aware that including fresh fruits and greens into our diet is a good idea. However, what you are unaware of is that your efforts of including all that is healthy is a waste, if you are not choosing the right produce, if you are not storing it properly and last but not the least, you are not preparing your meals well.
Below listed are a few ways in which you can maximize the nutrient and mineral content in your food by merely paying attention to a few things
Green And Salads
– Make sure that you only choose the most colourful green for your salads and any other dishes that you are going to make with them. Iceberg lettuce is no good. Dark greens like radicchio, arugula, spinach and other darker greens are a better fit.
– If you wish to keep your greens fresher for long, plunge them into cold water, dry them thoroughly, and store them in bags that are perforated and sealed.
– Always combine your salads with good quality fat like olive oil or avocados. There are a few fat-soluble vitamins, and they will be no good if not combined with the right fats.
Garlic And Onions
– Garlic and Onions are known to be extremely rich in nutrients and have a host of health benefits. To get the most from the nutrient-rich garlic, you should mince the garlic, and then press it and let it sit for about ten minutes before you use it. Directly exposing it to the heat will not give you any nutritional value.
– Onions will be better for you if you can taste them. Sweet onions, barely have any nutrition and may contain as much sugar as apples. Smaller onions have more nutrient value.
– Choose the most colourful of the lot.
– Eat the skin, and this is where the highest antioxidant content is. It helps slow digestion of starch and gives the potato a low glycemic value.
– New Potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Shift the old potatoes to the basement with enough ventilation and keep them there for a few months for use.
– Fresh carrots with tops are ideal as they are the freshest of the lot. If you wish to save all the nutrients, you should ideally cook the carrots whole and then cut them.
Make an appointment with Hermeet Singh Suri (HOM, BSc., RHN, Epigeneticist) at The Homeopathic Plus Centre and learn how you can make the most of the fresh produce you get locally.